Teaching Mass Spectrometry for Chemists
Bringing mass spectrometry into the classroom
The expression Compact Mass Spectrometer, the standard for mass analysis in chemistry labs worldwide, is available with a teaching package offering professors the ability to provide students with industry related knowledge and experience in mass spectrometry.
A research-grade mass spec, the expression CMS is also ideal for students because of its small size, ease of use, and one-click software. When class is not in session, the system is ideal for use for research projects, making this a versatile choice for university labs seeking state of the art equipment paired with streamlined teaching modules.
To bring mass spectrometry in to the classroom, Advion offers:
- A compact, easy to use benchtop mass spectrometer for both students and researchers
- Five hours of recorded lectures that go beyond the fundamentals of mass spectrometry to include various sample techniques, showing students real world examples used in the chemistry workplace
- Lecture slides to share or adapt to your own teaching style
Comprehensive lecture materials
This teaching package includes ready-to-teach curriculum, making it the ideal solution for undergraduate and teaching chemistry programs. Lectures include:
- Introduction to Mass Spectrometry: A lecture course on mass spectrometer instrumentation, ion source, ion detection and generation/interpretation of mass spectra
- Flow Injection Analysis: Direct injection, including sample concentrations and guidelines, ESI and APCI hints, solvent considerations and examples
- Direct probe sample introduction: Explaining the Atmospheric Solids Analysis Probe (ASAP) including workflow, positive and negative ion switching, the effects of temperature and gas flow and example applications
- Plate Express TLC plate reader: Introducing direct mass analysis of TLC plates including system operation, normal phase and reversed-phase TLC plates, solvents and buffers and application data
- LC/MS techniques: An introduction to liquid chromatography, HPLC system components and column choices, mobile phase flow rates and composition, LC/MS and solvent details
- Other compact mass spec techniques: Flash, prep-liquid, SFC, flow and more
Easy, student-friendly software, CheMS
Advion also offers the easy to use CheMS software that is ideal for teaching applications. The interface simplifies the mass spectrometry experience, allowing users to quickly select the workflow and type of compound they wish to analyze in just a few clicks of the mouse. The software automatically optimizes the ion source and data acquisition parameters to ensure clean, easy-to-read peaks without being an expert in mass spectrometry.